Thursday, October 2, 2008


1. People think in the language they are most comfortable or familiar with and hear almost a voice in their head speaking that language. A question that has always intrigued me is this: in what language do people who were born deaf think? Do they hear a voice as others do, or do they see sign language words or simply images or is it an entirely different process of thought?

2. To what extent are humans really in control of their lives? Are our actions guided entirely by our own free will or are they controlled more by outside forces, be they supernatural or merely political or socio-economical?

3. People connect to various characters in novels, plays, and stories, usually because a part of the character is somewhat like the reader, whether the reader consciously is aware of this or only realizes it later, if they think about this. This is one reason why people enjoy watching movies and plays and reading books. However, to what extent is this true? Is it true in the case of horror movies? Do people see in themselves, consciously or not, a connection to the villain, a potential for evil? Do people read/watch horror novels/movies to face this part of themselves, or if not, what makes them connect to the films or novels?

4. Do the rest of the people in the world truly see and feel the world the same way I do? Or is everyone else merely a construct in an elaborate setup? Does the world exist beyond what I see of it? Does the world exist at all, or am I merely dreaming it?

5. Is there a fundamental goal predetermined for me, a role I must fill as my destined part in life, or am I simply wandering aimlessly along my course with my future unplanned and infinitely possible? Is there a part in life I am meant to play and if so, am I able to, by choice, avoid this planned course, forming an end for myself as I choose? If I decide to go against what I believe my fate to be, is it instead that I was fated to reject my fate?

6. The two main courses of reasoning for human actions are, usually, logic and emotion. Of the two, which is more "natural" for humanity? Is mankind more disposed for reason or for simply following basic instincts and desires?

7. What is the overall motivation for life, not just in humans but other animals as well? What does any one creature desire as its goal in life? Human goals are said to be entirely different from basic animal instinct, but how similar are their motivations really?

8. What truly defines me as a person? Is it my actions or my thoughts or my appearance? Am I defined in one fundamental way that I cannot change or am I capable of being many different entities through my life that I can change through my actions and shifts in ideology?

9. What do animals in zoos, or fish in tanks or pools think of us humans as we look in on them? How much understanding do pets have of what their owners really are and their position in life? Do they have consciousness and thought patterns in the way humans do or do they truly only have very basic instincts to guide their decisions?

10. Do humans have a soul? If so, do only humans have them or do other forms of life have souls as well? What occurs to a soul once the body dies? If it goes to a heaven, what about animal or plant souls? What would this existence be like? What exactly is a soul and does it ever die?

11. (Extra Credit) What is the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything? More importantly, what exactly is the Question to this Ultimate Answer?

No comments: